Thursday 11 November 2021

Tensei Shitara Yadoya Chapter 10


Please support the translation by reading the translation and commenting on otakutl official site.

Thank you.
Everyone from Otaku Translation

Previous

TOC

Next

Rubera→ Rubella

The Butcher's Son


The hammock was occupied by a customer, so I had no choice but to give up and lie down in my room when I heard my dad's voice from under the ladder.

“Hey, Tori! I'm going to the market to buy some dinner, so come with me.”

“Eh? Is it that time already?”

“It's about that time. We have a lot of things to buy today, so please help me.”

“Yes.”

I wanted to take a break, but I couldn’t help it.

Walking outside is a good change of pace and it would be a lot easier than being forced to clean up here.

So I sluggishly crawled out of bed and made my way down to the 4th floor.

My impatient father seemed to have already gone to the 1st floor, so I hurried downstairs too.

“Alright, let's go.”

“Are? Tori and Abel-san, are you going somewhere?”

Ayla asked and my father said,

“We're going shopping for dinner.”

“Oh, then I’ll go too! I've been asked to do a few errands.”

She got up from her chair and walked towards the entrance as if she too had business at the market.

“I'll go too!”

Letty tried to stand up as well, but her arm was grabbed by her mother.

“No, Letty and I have to do the reception and laundry. We have a lot of laundries piled updo at home.”

“Eh——, I just washed the customers' clothes.”

Letty collapsed on the table after hearing her mother's rejection.

Good luck with that. Even though I'm done with the customers, I still have to work for the family.

“I'll buy Letty her favorite fruit, so hang in there.”

“Really? Thanks, Dad!”

Letty smiled and thanked him, and he laughed lazily.

“You're totally sweet to Letty.”

“Letty is cute, so it can't be helped.”

“What about me?”

“…”

I looked at my dad who nodded his head and he quickly looked away. That's terrible.

“Come on, let's go to the market!”

Then he walked away, his voice cheerful as if nothing had happened.

“Cheer up, Tori.”

Ayla's sympathetic words spoke about the difference in cuteness between Letty and me.



***



Dad, I, and Ayla left the inn and walked toward the marketplace in the town of Rubella.

The ground was paved with cobblestones, and the street was wide thanks to the main street. Many of the buildings are made of stone or brick, followed by wooden ones. The buildings are all lined up along the main street until the end of the street.

Most of the buildings along the main road are stores.

There are familiar ones such as clothing, vegetable, and shoe shops, as well as blacksmiths and armor shops that you can only find in a fantasy world.

The mishmash of shops on the main street is always bustling with people haggling over prices and calling out for customers.

Trying not to get separated by the occasional horse-drawn carriage or the waves of people, we turned onto a street slightly off the main road.

The road became narrower as we turned off the main street.

However, it was lined with many simple stores, many fruits, and vegetables in crates, and meat from cows, pigs, and birds on display. It looked more chaotic than the main street.

This is the market where most of the foodstuffs are gathered in the city of Rubella.

The city of Rubella is by no means, a large city, but it is surrounded by villages and hamlets(or settlements) of various sizes.

Villagers come here to sell the vegetables they have grown in their fields, so it is easy to get fresh vegetables.

This is why many vendors and merchants come to the area to sell their produce, which attracts even more people and produce.

“There's a lot of stuff on sale today, isn't there?”

“That’s right. I've been coming here for years, but I've never seen some of these ingredients before.”

This world has an unbelievable number of monsters, animals, fish, and plants, which naturally means that there is also an unbelievable number of foods to eat.

Moreover, thanks to the daily research of adventurers, researchers, and chefs in this world, it is not uncommon to be able to eat foods that you thought were inedible if you cook them in a certain way.

I've been living in this world for 12 years now, and I still can't say that I remember all the ingredients well enough. There are so many kinds of food.

“Dad, what's on the menu for dinner tonight?”

“For soup, I'm going to have cream stew, turnip, and mushroom, and since it's night, I think I'll have a meat-based main course.”

The city of Rubella is a little far from the sea.

Thanks to a convenient thing called ‘Magic’, we can have our food frozen and shipped to us, but that costs money and fish is expensive.

Perhaps because of this, most of the people living here prefer meat to fish.

In addition, most of them are hungry after a day of work and want to eat meat in the evening.

“What kind of meat do you want?”

“We'll see and decide.”

Oh, this is a pattern that will take quite a while.

My dad is a real pain in the ass when it comes to food.

“What are you buying, Ayla?”

“I'm just going to buy a few spices and a few fruits and vegetables for the store. It won't take me long, so I'll go with Tori and Abel-san.”

“All right. Okay, let's check out the butcher shop first.”

So we headed to the butcher shop to decide on the main course for dinner.

When we arrived at the butcher shop, we saw a variety of neatly processed meat hanging on the wall.

Some were recognizable as beef or pork, while others were not so recognizable at first glance.

There were even live chickens in cages on the ground, and I could hear them crying from time to time.

The meat smelled a little bloody, probably because it was being cut up and sold, but you get used to it when you live here for a long time, so no one minded. The freshness is outstanding.

“Runes, what kind of meat do you recommend today?”

“Asshole. I recommend all the meat I bring.”

A big man with a skinned head and a small beard, with his brow in wrinkles. It's the owner of this restaurant, Runes-san.

He is quite a rugged-looking man, so I feel intimidated when he gives me such a stern look and words, but we have known each other for a long time, so I know that he’s joking.

“If I had to pick one, I'd say Black Buffalo and Aegfang's monster meat.”

“Oh, monster meat!”

The butcher, Runes, pointed to a large piece of meat.

I was wondering what this big meat was, but apparently, it was monster meat.

[Black Buffalo] is a type of cow monster.

The flesh was very firm and elastic, probably since it had a tougher body than normal cows.

When you bite into it, a lot of juice overflows, and although it is a little more expensive than regular meat, it is very popular monster meat.

On the other hand, I don't know about Aegfang. I think it's a wild boar-type monster, but I've never eaten it.

“Hmmm, Black Buffalo or Aegfang meat. Which one should it be ...?”

Dad growled as he alternately looked at the two pieces of meat.

“I think I'll go for the Aegfang meat. I've never eaten this one before.”

“Oh, yeah? Tori has never eaten Aegfang meat, right?”

“No, I've never had it.”

I've had regular wild boar meat many times, though.

“By the way, my inn uses Black Buffalo meat.”

“You use black buffalo meat! Then I'll use Aegfang meat so that it doesn’t get overlapped!”

My house and Ayla's inn are rather close to each other. This is how we consult with each other to make sure we don't have the same menu for dinner.

If both of the innkeepers in the neighborhood had the same menu, the customers would not like it.

“Well, I guess we'll have to settle for Aegfang's meat!”

Hearing our conversation, Runes-san clapped his hands.

“Hey, Carlo. You cut it.”

“Okay.”

Runes-san called out to the shop, and a chubby brown-haired boy came out from the back. The boy had a soft face, jade eyes, and freckles on his cheeks.

“Oh, Carlo. You're here.”

“Oh, Tori and Ayla, you're here.”

When I called out to him, Carlo rolled his eyes in surprise.

Carlo is Runes-san’s son, the same age as Ayla and me, and a friend.

We often use Runes-san's butcher shop to buy meat, so we naturally became friends, being the same age.

“Are you going to use Aegfang's meat today?”

“Yes, I think I'll put it in a stew or use it for steak.”

“Oh, that's good. Aegfang's meat is very satisfying. They'll both be delicious.”

“Hey, Carlo. Chatting is good, but I need you to start cutting.”

It seemed that Dad had decided which parts to buy and how much.

“I'm sorry, I have to go to work. I'll see you next time when I have more time.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to disturb you.”

Carlo was working in the store now, and we had to move on after buying the meat.

It's regrettable, but let's talk slowly again sometime.

Ayla and I watched Carlo from the side, not talking to him so as not to disturb him.

Carlo is using a large knife to cut the meat, under the direction of his father, Runes.

“He looks pretty tight when he's cutting meat, doesn't he?”

“Yes, he does. I think Tori should be as crisp as that when he works.”

“... I'm more of a slow and relaxed worker.”

1 comment: