Sunday 14 August 2022

A Man Who Cooks For Himself And A High School Girl (WN) || Chapter 40

Please support the translation by reading the translation and commenting on otakutl official site.

Thank you.
Everyone from Otaku Translation

Previous

TOC

Next



40th Meal

Young Girl and Adult Male




“NIIIDAAAA~~~~~~!?”

“Wait, hold on.”




The screams of a pale high school girl echoed in room 206 of Utatane Heights. Inside the room, Yuu, holding an antiseptic-soaked cotton ball in his hand, is treating a fresh scrape on Mahiru's right knee.




“...All right, that’s it.”

“Ugh…I-It stings…”




Yuu smiles at the girl who plopped down on the table as she said so.

Today's Sports Festival, Mahiru competed in the Inter-grade relay. Although she claims to be not so good at sports, she showed quite a good performance, helped by her classmates and the odd combination of them. She was doing fine…Until that happened.




“I didn't expect to fall right after you passed the baton. You were lucky there was no one right behind you.”

“I-I’m so embarrassed…”




Mahiru's cheeks flushed red as she recalled how she had fallen down after handing over the baton to the anchor. “Woah, that first-year student is she okay~!?” I resented the half-smiling voices of the students in the broadcasting department as they ask so.




“But you were able to get Second place because Mahiru did her best until you fell down, you know? Then it's an honorable injury. It's like a medal.”

“O-Onii-san…!”




Mahiru became teary-eyed as if she was deeply moved by Yuu’s words…Well, actually, it was largely due to the fact that Aki, the top batter, had kept a high ranking since the opening day, but even so, she was honestly happy to hear him say that to her.




“Onii-san, thank you so much for coming all the way out there to watch me today.”

“Hmm? Yeah, it was fun. After all, festivals are great…though I don't want to participate as a player myself.”

“Hahaha~Then! please come to the Cultural festival if you like! The festival at Utatane High School is always a lot of fun every year!”

“Hee, you've been there before?”

“Yes!! The junior high school students were free to come and go as long as they brought their student ID, so Hiyori and I used to go every year! This year we will definitely put on a great show, so please look forward to it!”

“Haha, you’re so excited. It's still months away, right?”

“Ehehe~ I know~ But…”



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Please read this at (https://darbloodage.blogspot.com/) Thank you!


Please support me on Ko-fi!


https://ko-fi.com/tiredtranslations


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




There, Mahiru looked down with just a little sadness in her eyes.




“Until last year…I didn't have people like Onii-san today who would come to watch me…”

“!”




For Mahiru, who has lived alone away from her parents since junior high school, it’s difficult to have her parents come to school events such as Sports festivals, Cultural festivals, and class visits.


In fact, the only time her parents were able to visit her during her junior high school years was when she had a parent-teacher conference to help her choose a career path. Of course, she made an effort to visit her parents during the summer vacation to talk with them, but even so, her parents rarely saw Mahiru at school.




“That’s why I was really happy today. I was able to introduce my friend to Onii-san, I was able to show you how hard I've been working, and…you even told me my Onigiri tasted great!”

“...I see.”

“Yes!!”




Mahiru nodded with a big smile on her face. Even though she was acting so cheerful, she still felt lonely.


But at least now she shouldn't be. As a college student, Yuu may not be able to take Mahiru's place as a parent, but he can at least distract her from her loneliness.


If his presence can support this girl in some small way—Then Yuu’s satisfied with it.




His decision to teach Mahiru how to cook was based on his concern for her unique living environment. It may be impolite to say so, but he wanted to give the girl, who’s still in high school…a life that is as close to normal as possible.


It is a warm meal, eating with someone, and the presence of an adult who can be easily consulted. All of these are things that Mahiru didn't have until a short while ago—but she has now.


And that’s what the relationship between Yuu and Mahiru is all about…At least, for Yuu, that is.




“...Well then, let's have some food. You must be tired from the gymnastics festival, so I'll cook for you today.”

“Onii-san will do it for me!? Wow, it kind of reminds me of the day we first met!”

“Fu~ You’re so naive Mahiru…tonight's dinner is nothing compared to bacon and eggs that you can't even call a dish like that.”

“Ehh…? T-Then what are we going to eat tonight…?”




Mahiru gulps at Yuu’s cool words. The self-catering Man is not afraid to show off his skills, and they do so with his best face.



“—It’s Karaage.” (Tired: Fried Chicken.)

“Karaage!? Yay~! It's my favorite food~! I mean, Onii-san, you can make it!?”

“Oioi, Don’t underestimate me, all right? I’ll even make you some french fries if you talk to me like that.”

“Kyaa~! Onii-san’s so nice! I’ll make an Onigiri then! I won’t let you say that it has too much salt this time!”

“Hohoo~? Well then, I’m going to review it three times!”

“I understand! Please do!”




Yuu and Mahiru head for the kitchen together, exchanging a mysterious tension.

Then so, on this night, the two grew a little closer again.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Please support me on Ko-fi!


https://ko-fi.com/tiredtranslations



Self Cater Vol 1 illustrations:


https://darbloodage.blogspot.com/2022/07/self-cater-ln-vol-1-illustrations.html

Please do not delete this
How to find a list of chapters
Please find the chapter label next to your favorite translator's name, and click the label.






No comments:

Post a Comment